The main goal of creation and activity of the UNESCO Chair is providing integrated system of researches, training, teaching, information and documentation in the sphere of information law and legal information technologies (legal informatization), and also promoting cooperation between specialists of the NCLI and highly qualified, internationally recognized scientists and teachers of other institutions of Belarus, Central and Eastern Europe.
Long-term objectives of the UNESCO Chair are the following:
- realizing scientific and research programs in the field of information technologies and law, legal informatization and state system of legal information, and also introduction of the results of these researches at the creation of the single information and legal space of the Republic of Belarus and its inclusion to the global information society;
- development of educational programs and academic courses with a view to train qualified specialists in the field of information technologies and law for the work in different structures connected with using legal information and telecommunication technologies;
- creating special program of courses of raising qualification for teachers in the field of legal informatics, legal informatization, information law, other fields connected with legal information technologies and also specialists in this sphere of knowledge in the Republic of Belarus;
- coordinating in the Republic of Belarus scientific and educational activity in the sphere of information technologies and law, legal informatization, information law, development and improvement of the state system of legal information;
- creating the program of regional and international cooperation between the universities, institutions and other organizations with a view to develop teaching and scientific researches in the field of law and legal information technologies.
Permanent objectives of the UNESCO Chair are the following:
- analysis of the national, foreign and international legislation in force, practice of its application, and also analysis of earlier conducted researches in the field of law and legal information technologies with further using results at the development of courses and programs mentioned in clause 5, preparation scientific conclusions on concrete questions, contributing to the introduction of the most effective models of legal regulation at forming the single information and legal space of the Republic of Belarus, including the analysis of the problems and preparation of the suggestions on improving the legislation of the Republic of Belarus aimed to forming in the state the single information space and also information and legal space, development and improvement of the SSLI;
- organization and methodological maintenance of the educational process and conducting researches in the field of law and information technologies, and also information technologies in the field of law by forming the staff of permanent and voluntary teachers, specialists and researchers, post-graduates and students, holding educational, methodical and scientific seminars, conferences and meetings on the problems of information technologies and law;
- establishing contacts with other national, foreign and international higher educational establishments, academic structures and other organizations involved in education and scientific researches in the field of law and information technologies, and also such forms of cooperation as exchange of students, post-graduates and teachers, organizations of joint educational, research, publishing and other programs;
- participation in the development of drafts of laws, conventions and international treaties in the field of law and legal information technologies;
- contributing to the fulfilling and active dissemination of the decisions and recommendations of the UN and UNESCO in the field of realization of the right to information on the activity of state bodies, e-government, development of information technologies, legal maintenance of processes of legal informatization and legal informatization, developing the law of intellectual property and information law;
- development of educational and methodical materials in the field of law and information technologies, and also their publication;
- participation in working out, providing functioning and development of the National Legal Internet Portal of the Republic of Belarus.
Strategic plans of the Chair are connected, first of all, with the development of educational process in the Republic of Belarus in the field of legal informatization.
It is planned to actively participate in the system of experience exchange with the colleagues from the Central and Eastern Europe.
- participation in preparation and holding the International Scientific and Practical Conference “Information Technologies and Law (Legal Informatization – 2004)”;
- participation in preparation of the Tunis Phase of the World Summit on the Information Society (2005) and holding a seminar on problems of creating legal information systems under the auspices of the UNESCO Bureau in Moscow;
- preparation and publication of scientific, scientific and practical and methodical materials concerning the basic directions of the Chair’s work;
- creating and conducting a special section in the journal “The Problems of Legal Informatization”;
- formation and development of the specialization “Legal Informatization” for law students and training specialists in the sphere;
- creation of a web site about the activities of the UNESCO Chairs in the Republic of Belarus.